INtelligent, Fast, Interconnected and Efficient devices for Frontier Exploitation in Research and Industry
FOR ASTROPHYSICS, MEDICAL PHYSICS AND PARTICLE PHYSICS
Goals and technological challenges:
• Develop advanced signal processing on the Front End Readout Electronics on-detector for Astrophysics, HEP (High-Energy Physics) and Medical Imaging Instruments in order to perform in sometimes very harsh conditions:
- an efficient data reduction and selection, based on a real time understanding of the Physics or
- the possible diagnoses the user is looking for.
• This early stage decision making implies some major technological breakthroughs in the FEE microelectronics linked for instance to:
- advanced PMTs or SiPM’s or
- advanced Si sensor technology.
The WP2 purpose is to make use or contribute to develop advanced technology in order to have the FEE or local intelligence ASIC closely embedded on the near detector element.
• This will eliminate wire or bump bonding
• improve the performance (less noise & material for instance)
• build more compact devices.
The main ITN interest is in developing expertise on packaging based on 3D TSV technologies and keeping an eye opened on possible alternative developed by advanced high tech industries.
INFIERI will develop some of applications in collaboration with key industrial firms associated with this project.
Transfer of data from detector modules to the far-end processors:
• the specific problems in data transmission for typical length of connectivity ranging from a few tens of cm to about 100 m or more.
• transversal-type of activity, which should support the other WP activities.
• High-rate data transfer, in harsh environments are vital to future experiments => WP3 targets unprecedented transfer rates with low mass, radiation hard devices,
• novel optical wireless communication, and,
• given the large number of data links, their interconnectivity.
• Electro-optical conversion and coupling to fibre-optics will be developed to integrate to the front-end.
The ITN will go beyond the state-of-the-art GBT chip under development at CERN (5 Gb/s) to reach the rates needed by LHCb (13 Gb/s) and beyond, requiring VDSM & efficient interconnection technologies also investigating the challenges in the other fields of interest of this project.
TECHNOLOGIES to be investigated by WP3:
1) New Si Photonics technologies, with novel Si multiplexing and light modulators, combining the speed of photonics with the functionality and CMOS fabrication techniques of electronics.
2) Radio wireless links with extremely high frequency technology. This relies on VDSM techno, low power 60 GHz transceivers as well as compact low mass directional antennas for 60 GHz.
3) Optimized systems based on Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM), able to transmit high speed data fluxes, possibly using advanced modulation formats and detection schemes.
4) Advanced optical fibre sensor technologies for distributed and discrete monitoring of various parameters (strains, temperature, humidity, pressure etc.), in harsh environments
5) Advanced Optical wireless communication (OWC) system solutions, using either visible or infrared for high data rate transmission, as a viable alternative to RF wireless for reliable and rapid Deployment.
The latency problem is crucial for both HEP (High-Energy Physics) and Astrophysics and will be also part of the training and developments of this project.
WP4 is essential for our Astrophysics, HEP (High-Energy Physics) and Medical Physics applications:
• The HLT of large area terrestrial system will combine & appropriately handled the information from all the individual components (telescopes) of the network.
• Innovative aspect for the Medical application includes a high level processing to treat the information delivered by the highly pixelated device in this case.
• HEP Level 1 Trigger will require matching the charged tracks with the calorimeters or the muon systems information in order to identify peculiar features of the interesting physical processes. This will mean developing and testing the use of new advanced PU technology.
• This WP is closely related to the Massive Parallel Computing developments and confronting exascale challenges and to
• Advanced Telecommunications Computing Architecture (ATCA): When the filtered information from the local data reduction arrives from the FE, it should be routed to the back-end processor (WP4).
Indeed ATCA framework includes a series of specifications that incorporates the latest trends in high speed interconnect technologies, next generation processors and improved reliability, manageability and serviceability thus potentially attractive for our applications.
A series of tools that are of use for various work packages will be developed or used with the corresponding training. These tools include:
i) Kit tools for design and layout of circuits in VDSM CMOS technology,
ii) All types of simulation studies,
iii) Complex pattern recognition software packages,
iv) Lab test bench hardware and software tools (possibly including test beams) for testing specific components or technologies. These different aspects will be achieved with the complementary expertise available within the partners of the proposed network including some industrial partners.
This work package includes:
i) The simulation based study of the system integration related issues in each of the applications,
ii) Design and construction of a mock-up or demonstrator of one or more
than one component of the “intelligent data processing chain”and the performances evaluation of this system
iv) Lab test benches or test beams with these prototypes that mimic the real-life functioning of the component, and the analysis of the corresponding performances.
A series of test benches will be developed in the various nodes, and in some cases in the industrial firms, in a coordinated way. They will be adapted to the various demonstrators built by this project.
As the prototypes to test are based on novel technologies, developing the corresponding test benches and running them will imply using or building new hardware and software tools.
Another asset of INFIERI is to include world renowned Labs: RAL, NIKHEF (full partners) and CERN and FNAL as associate, all with their test facilities and unique expertise.
These test facilities will be a unique training camp for the ESR/ERs and for ensuring this project to achieve its S&T goals.
Aurore Savoy-Navarro (CNRS) , Garret Cotter (Oxford University)
and a panel of experts
Network wide training activities and transferrable skills
All these training activities constitute training deliverables together with the Nb of p.m. each full partner must successfully ensured.
CRUCIAL COMMITMENT OF ALL THE INFIERI PARTNERS:
The outreach events (ex Public Lectures) must be organized at each events organized by or in which INFIERI partners are taking part. Dissemination of the work and results obtained by the INFIERI projects must be widely and properly disseminated. This ensures the visibility, and spread of the scientific and technology outcomes of INFIERI. They are essential to identify what this project is really achieving.
The INFIERI management structure consists of the central Coordinator office -based at AstroParticule et Cosmologie (APC) laboratory in Paris-, the Executive Committee for scientific decision making and the Supervisory Board for overseeing network-wide. The central Coordinator office consists of the project scientific coordinator and the administrative staff. INFIERI ITN is centrally managed/coordinated by CNRS, involving the Scientific Coordinator, Prof. Aurore Savoy-Navarro, and, the European Project Manager, Myriam Morcel. The central Coordinator office is responsible for the day-to-day management of INFIERI ITN, annual, mid-term and final reports, but also of the communication with the European Commission, full and associated partners.
The network organization and management structure ensures the intersectorial and multidisciplinary aspect of INFIERI project as well as the strong involvement of industrial partners and of all Associated Partners (As). Synergy is the main line of conduct between the different applications. The WP’s are the core of the organization of INFIERI and this is reflected in its overall management structure.